The Rug Pulled from Beneath Ones Feet.

Monday 17 November 2008

Earlier on in the year I was made redundant, to be precise, last January so the fact it has taken me until mid November, a painful ten months later, is a clue to how I took the incident. ‘Incident’ is a good word for it. I know thousands of people are made redundant, it happens regularly in the working world, ‘part and parcel’, as they say, BUT I had never been made redundant before this. No, I was a virgin at the whole redundancy business and, I’m telling you, I ain’t fucking in a hurry to repeat it.

We returned to work, after last Christmas, to be sat down and told that the company was fucking up, (my own translation of what was said by the bitch…I mean my old boss), and that people had to be made redundant. The policy was, last in, first out sooo…with a mere five years under my belt….yes a MERE FIVE YEARS, I knew I was for the chop. I mean compared to the life sentence other arseholes, ooops, colleagues, had served I was a newbie! Anyway, a time frame was set in place, meetings organised where those under consideration for the chop had a chance to come up with ideas to save the failing shite of a….to save the business, (ten months and the bitterness still oozes), which I did. Not that that helped me.

Anyway, with the 99.9% certainty I was going to be one of the lambs I started to, tentatively, look for a new job.
The thing is, (here’s some words of wisdom here), life’s shitty parts don’t always register with you until they actually slap you in the face.

The ‘day’ arrived, where we were to be told. I thought I’d be okay but heck, the shock shook me. After five years of service I was, effectively, told to fuck off and kicked on the rubbish dump and left in a state of complete, ‘where’s that rug that was under my feet?’ People, (I’m telling you), redundancy is not a nice thing to happen to a person and this is coming from someone who has been through some shite in her sorry life, (some self made…(slaps self on the side of the head)).

Anyway, I’ll tell more in the next post as I’m getting all angry and need to hit something.

0 comments: